1.8.4stable?

CL Gilbert Lamont_Gilbert at RigidSoftware.com
Wed Jul 9 16:47:30 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins wrote:
| CL Gilbert <Lamont_Gilbert at RigidSoftware.com> writes:
|

|>Exactly as stated.  I hit save, then it opened the file path dialog.
|>Then I choose the location, and type the name, then hit OK/Save
|>whatever, then it complained about the file not existing.  this is
|>eventhough it should be creating it.  probably it was truly complaining
|>because the *path* didnt exist.  It was some funky path like
|>/home/carl/.gnucash/xxx which it should not have been because I was
|>trying to save to /home/carl/GnuCashData/mydataFile.  somehow it merged
|>those 2 paths and came up with a garbage path.  I tried to save about 3
|>times by choosing the path graphically.  Finally I decided to enter it
|>manually at the bottom of the window.  I typed
|>/home/carl/GnuCashData/mydatafile thinking that the initial '/' would
|>clean up this path mess, but to no avail.  I tried saveAs also.
|

| Question: did the data directory (/home/carl/GnuCashData) already
| exist, or were you giving GnuCash a non-existant directory?
| I'm asking because GnuCash wont create the directory path for you.

the directory existed.  In any event it was saying that the file didnt
exist which was awkward.  I tried this several times so I am sure the
path was correct.  But the path it complained about did not match the
path I was using as stated.

| What happens if you try to save the data as "/tmp/my-data"?  Does that
| work?

Havent tried to reproduce the problem.  I will see if I can reproduce it.

|>So I said forget it.  Figured that from previous 1 time experience if I
|>just hit exit, it would ask me for a file name since this file had never
|>been saved yet.  It did, but this time when I hit enter, something poped
|>up saying Guppi Crashed in some manner. and that brought the whole thing
|>down it seemed.
|

| Hmm.. This is strange.  First, are you _SURE_ it said that "Guppi"
| crashed?  Or was it a gnome dialog that said "your application has
| crashed..."?

Yes, it was Guppi.  Guppi is an awkward name and I would not have
misread Gnome as Guppi.

|>| In what way did "it finally [give] up the ghose[sic]"?  Did it
die/crash?

|>Thats 'ghost' :)
|

| Yes, I know (hense the "sic")...
|

|>| Did it pop up bug-buddy?  What were you doing when it did this?  Can you
|>| reproduce the problem?  Can you get a stack trace from the problem?
|>|

|>well as I said, I was trying to save.  Didnt have opportunity to enter
|>anything so I assume bug-buddy didn't show itself, whatever that is.
|

| Bug Buddy is the gnome application helper that pops up and says "this
| application has crashed..."
|

|>How does one get a stack trace?
|

| run gdb, attach the process-id of gnucash, and then use gdb's
| "backtrace" command.
|

|>| Unfortunately, "it died" isn't useful.
|>|

|>How about, "It died, dead" :D
|

| Uh...  No.
|

|>excuses excuses ;) j/k I like gnucash because eventually I expect to add
|>a thing or two to it once I get the swing of it.
|

| Cool.  We look forward to your patches.

No, I'm the one making the bugs :D

|>Overall I will take that as its safe to go ahead and migrate to gnucash.
|

| Yes..  I think so.
|
| -derek

- --
Thank you,

CL Gilbert
Free Java interface to Freechess.org
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD  19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D
GNU Privacy Guard http://www.gnupg.org
Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html, windows
users should try that.