Archiving Transactions?

Russell Lear russelllear at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 20:19:53 CDT 2003

I'm a recent convert to gnucash from MSMoney.  It seems to be a tool that is
probably more than I really need (but I'll use it anyway!).

My problem is that generating reports takes forever - where "forever" for the
example Welcome report is really only 5 - 8 minutes but I get impatient at
times.  Part of the problem is my machine (500MHz with 128MB RAM running Suse
8.2 Linux).  And part of it is probably the amount of data I have accumulated
over the years going back to 1995.

Is there a safe strategy for somehow archiving very old transactions without
screwing up the accounts (Just deleting them seems like a real bad idea).
Something to speed things up a little in the reports.

Or is there another approach entirely?  I'm reasonably fluent in Scheme, but I
suspect all the hooks are there to do what I want without resorting to that.

Practice sprint meditation while reports are generated?  Play games?

I only got the help installed last night (thanks to a recent thread here), so
there's a good chance a closer reading of the manual would answer my
questions - but I don't see it.

Thanks,
Russell.

PS - for what it's worth, installing, converting to and learning gnucash (even
without the Help documents) was surprisingly easy.  My compliments to the
chefs!