Archiving Transactions?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 10 11:32:41 CDT 2003

Hi,

Russell Lear <russelllear at earthlink.net> writes:

> Is there a safe strategy for somehow archiving very old transactions without
> screwing up the accounts (Just deleting them seems like a real bad idea).
> Something to speed things up a little in the reports.

Unfortunately there isn't any automated way to do this (yet).  The
current "best theory" is to use "File -> Export Accounts" to create a
new file that just has the account tree.  You'll lose any scheduled
transactions or business configurations, but it may help you reset
your accounts.

> Or is there another approach entirely?  I'm reasonably fluent in Scheme, but I
> suspect all the hooks are there to do what I want without resorting to that.

I dont know...  You're welcome to help out on the Period support to
split files..

> Practice sprint meditation while reports are generated?  Play games?

Well, you could get more memory.  Just upgrading to 256M may help
significantly.  My GnuCash core image is about 25M, and that has very
little data in it.  8 years of data probably brings it up to at least
30-35M.  With only 128 available that doesn't leave a lot of wiggle
room for other apps.

> I only got the help installed last night (thanks to a recent thread here), so
> there's a good chance a closer reading of the manual would answer my
> questions - but I don't see it.

Unlikely..

> Thanks,
> Russell.
>
> PS - for what it's worth, installing, converting to and learning gnucash (even
> without the Help documents) was surprisingly easy.  My compliments to the
> chefs!

Thanks!