Sales tax rounding and other rounding issues

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 10 20:52:03 CDT 2003

John Zoetebier <john.zoetebier at transparent.co.nz> writes:

> A global setting, as rounding methods can differ.
> For example QuickBooks has a global rounding setting.

Ok, making it a global setting shouldn't be too hard...  Anything
more fine grained would require data format changes, which would be
bad.

> More important though is the ability to change sales tax on a bill.
> This avoids fiddling with the billing amount.

This, however, is "impossible".  It would require changes to the data
formats, which is something I really don't want to do (because it
would make data files incompatible across versions, which is a Bad
Idea).  There is no tax amount stored in an invoice.. it is always
computed from the tax-tables.

For a Bill (as opposed to an Invoice), you could always just add a
"Sales Tax" line-item, since you already know what the amount should
be.