Cross-reporting ?

Thiers Botelho thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br
Fri Jul 11 16:05:00 CDT 2003

That's it.

101.01
202.01
....01

Which would meet my needs squarely and nicely.

Thiers

James Leone <linuxcpa at netscape.net>
11/07/2003 14:44

        Para:   thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br
        cc:     gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org
        cco:
        Assunto:        Re: Cross-reporting ?

>In Quicken, I could record transactions within particular categories (?)
>like "Dining Expenses" and "Medicine", for instance ; PLUS when entering
>each transaction I could also add another qualifier (class ?) such as
>"John" and "Mary".

Ahhh....divisions!

 From what I have seen in accounting programs, this feature, along with
the ability to run a report showing activity for parallel periods on the
same page are just as important as being able to invoice customers.

In using divisions,  I have commonly seen accounting packages format
their accounts like so:

xxx.yy

xxx = account number

yy = division.

As a result of organizing the accounts in this manner, reports can be
run that only show accounts that have the same "yy"

101.01
202.01

Etc.

The same can be done with names instead of numbers I would think, but
again I am not a programmer.

I don't know how difficult it would be to add this feature, but the
program will have to have it to be siriously considered for business use.

James Leone, CPA