gnucash-user Digest, Vol 4, Issue 21

Vincent V vincentv at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Jul 13 11:17:56 CDT 2003

No, don't do that

To achieve the sort sort of thing you after you need this sort of structure

Dining and Expenses

 - John
|_ Mary
|_ Other

Never put any transactions dirictly into 'Dining and Expences', only into thier inividual accounts. The sum of the individual sub accounts will be automatically totaled into the 'Dining and Expences' accounts giving you the individual spending and the gross total. In reports such as 'balance sheet' you may need to go into Options - dislpay - subtotals to make it do the same here.

Vince

Therefore, when producing reports, I could have all the cross-reporting
> options, like "Dining Expenses for Everybody", "All Expenses for Mary", or
> "Medicine for John".
>
> Does GnuCash provide a practical means to achieve this flexibility ? If
> so, what structures and options I should look for in the docs ?
>
> Thanx all in advance.
>
> Therefore, when producing reports, I could have all the cross-reporting
> options, like "Dining Expenses for Everybody", "All Expenses for Mary", or
> "Medicine for John".
>
> Does GnuCash provide a practical means to achieve this flexibility ? If
> so, what structures and options I should look for in the docs ?
>
> Thanx all in advance.

Well, I'll resort then to ressurecting ye olde Lord Quicken . . .