Error compiling

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jul 12 23:37:02 CDT 2003

hi,

Sydney Weidman <weidmans at mts.net> writes:

> Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question, but here goes:

Well, it can't hurt...

> I was trying to compile gnucash which in turn requires gtkhtml. So I
> downloaded gtkhtml-1.1.10.tar.gz and ran (as root)
>
> rpm -ta gtkhml-1.1.10.tar.gz

RPM -- what Distro are you using?  Every Red Hat release since 7.3
has a "reasonable" gtkhtml RPM pre-built...

> and it configured properly and started to compile. But it errors out as
> follows:
>
> grep: /home/weidmans/garnome/lib/libaudiofile.la: No such file or
> directory
> sed: can't read /home/weidmans/garnome/lib/libaudiofile.la: No such file
> or directory
> libtool: link: `/home/weidmans/garnome/lib/libaudiofile.la' is not a
> valid libtool archive

Well, something was compiled into this location, or there are some
remnants of bogus libtool-archive (.la) files lying around.  You can
probably fix this by removing all .la files that you have installed.

> How is it that libtool is picking up a normal user directory when I am
> compiling as root? Moreover, I haven't even installed garnome as user
> weidmans. Does anyone have any idea where I might look for more info?

Well, something ELSE could have been built/installed as a normal user,
or built as a normal user and then installed as root...  Libtool is
a strange beast.  You could always:

    find / -name \*.la | xargs grep /home/weidmans

To figure out which .la file has the (presumably bogus) pointer.

However, I would recommend you just install the pre-built gtkhtml RPM
for your Distro.