Depreciation and Capital Gains

Steve Wallace s.wal at verizon.net
Tue Jul 15 12:41:35 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:07:06AM -0300, Jon Lapham wrote:
> The GnuCash documentation group (cough, cough) is proud to present the
> latest, greatest, newest, most excitingest version of the
> documentation on depreciation and capital gains!

It figures that I would spot this immediately *after* posting my
question about documentation on Capital Gains!  Very nice work!

I still don't see how to apply this to shares of a listed security that
may be acquired in many separate lots over a long period of time.  I get
that I probably need a cost account for each security, I guess that at
the time of sale I need to manually calculate the basis and transfer
that amount from the cost account to somewhere else (income account for
realized gains?) along with the proceeds of the sale?  How do I set up a
report to show the proceeds and basis for each sale during a tax period?

Thanks, Steve Wallace