Depreciation and Capital Gains

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Tue Jul 15 13:53:03 CDT 2003

Steve Wallace wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:07:06AM -0300, Jon Lapham wrote:
>
>>The GnuCash documentation group (cough, cough) is proud to present the
>>latest, greatest, newest, most excitingest version of the
>>documentation on depreciation and capital gains!
>

> It figures that I would spot this immediately *after* posting my
> question about documentation on Capital Gains!  Very nice work!

:)

> I still don't see how to apply this to shares of a listed security that
> may be acquired in many separate lots over a long period of time.  I get
> that I probably need a cost account for each security, I guess that at
> the time of sale I need to manually calculate the basis and transfer
> that amount from the cost account to somewhere else (income account for
> realized gains?) along with the proceeds of the sale?

I'm guessing that this is what Derek was responding to in your other
message.  Apparently, it has to be done manually.

Just looking at your question, I realize there is a lot more work that
needs to go into the investment docs.  I'll be watching the responses
people give you with baited breath.

> How do I set up a
> report to show the proceeds and basis for each sale during a tax period?

No idea.  I haven't worked with reports yet.  I'm just starting out in
GC like you.  Anyone?

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil