International accounting differences

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Tue Jul 15 17:19:59 CDT 2003

My naive understanding of accounting was just rocked today.  I
discovered that different parts of the world have different accounting
systems.  (All you accountants in the audience can stop laughing at me now).

Wow.

So, what I would like is some more information on this.  Obviously this
subject is probably too big to discuss in an email message, but if
anyone has relavent URLs, I would love to read.

A little googlage led me to this link:

http://puma.kvcc.edu/midwest/modules/accounting/acc101fj.htm

...which mentions 3 "major Worldwide Accounting Clusters:
British-American, Continental, and South American".

(does "continental" mean continental european?)

So, if we were to put a section in the documentation discussing the
differences between the worldwide accounting practices, would these be
the 3 systems to use?  Are there more, less?

-Jon

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil