Stock Basis and Capital Gains from sale

Steve Wallace s.wal at verizon.net
Tue Jul 15 19:04:25 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 12:40:37PM -0300, Jon Lapham wrote:
> Steve Wallace wrote:
> >I am a new user of GnuCash 1.8.4.  I am located in the USA.  Looking
> >for a Quicken replacement.
>
> Welcome aboard Steve.

Thanks.

> >Don't expect a lot of fancy features but need basic investing
> >capabilities.  I have quickly read through the documents I have been
> >able to find.  Sections on investing are mostly just headings, is
> >this because investing features are not yet implemented or just
> >missing documentation?  I have looked at the Help Manual, the
> >Concepts & Tutorial Guide did I miss something?
>
> This part of the documentation is being written as we speak.  You can
> see the top secret under development version of the investment and
> capital gains documentation here:
>
> http://www.jandr.org/temp/gnucashdocs/chapter7.html
>
> http://www.jandr.org/temp/gnucashdocs/chapter8.html
>
> Mind you, this is still under heavy construction.  As you are a new
> person to GnuCash, someone like you could help a great deal by giving
> advise on how to make the docs better.  Maybe as you learn, you could
> help me update the docs along the way?  I'll do all the heavy lifting,
> you just have to tell me what to do.
>
> One other resource for you would be the GnuCash v1.6 documentation.
> It seems that some of the things there didn't make it to the v1.8
> documentation.  See here:
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-docs-1.6/
>
> Of course, since it was written for v1.6, it may not be totally
> applicable.  :)
>
> Of special interet to you is probably these sections:
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-docs-1.6/xacc-depreciation.html
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-docs-1.6/xacc-commodity.html
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-docs-1.6/xacc-portfolio-report.html
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-docs-1.6/xacc-stkptlo.html

Thanks for the links.  Very useful, unfortunately I don't see any thing
further that addresses my current problem.  It's a pretty fundamental
issue so hopefully someone will have a work around I can use for now
until the Lots management stuff is ready.  I know little about
accounting but have many years of experience as an investor.  I am also
new to Linux so I am a double newbie.  Once up to speed I will try to
comment where appropriate.

Thanks,
Steve Wallace