Customized views?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 16 15:11:45 CDT 2003

"Jack McKinney" <jackmc-gnucash at lorentz.com> writes:

> Short Version:
>      Is there a way to get gnucash to give me a report of several specific
> accounts that are scattered in several places in the hierarchy?

What kind of report?  Most of the reports allow you to specify which
accounts are included in the report..  You can run a report multiple
times and configure each report differently via the report options.

> My Solution:
>      In my accounting system, I called this concept a "portfolio".  A
> portfolio account is a "virtual" account.  It is a new account type,
> in addition to asset, liability, equity, income, and expense.  It is a
> new type because it is treated special:

GnuCash does not have this concept.  I agree it's a rather powerful
concept -- a more general view would be some way to have multiple
account trees using the same leaf accounts.  Adding this, however,
would be challenging, I think, but admittedly I haven't looked at it
much (at all).