Customized views?

Thu Jul 17 17:53:15 CDT 2003

Big Brother tells me that James Leone wrote:

> >Long Version:
> >    My checking account has several subaccounts: Housing, Utilities, Car,
> >Groceries, etc.  I get paid twice a month.  Each paycheck, I distribute a
> >corresponding amount to the several subaccounts,
> >
> Just some advice. Do what you want.... :-)
>
> (Side note: The accounting method described above is much like
> governmental accounting, rules set in the USA by www.gasb.org)
>
> Can you set a budget, not as an additional accounts or sub accounts, but
> as a different trial balance using the same account numbers? My guess is
> that this will save you time and complication.
>
> You can calculate how much you are within budget by comparing the two
> trial balances. Saves a lot of entries. Part 2 below.

     Could you elaborate on this?  I don't understand this method at all.
From this short description, it sounds backwards:  spend the money and
then check afterwards to see if you got it right.  My method literally
budgets the money.  At any given time, I look at my account and know
how much I have available to spend on something, based on which budget
account it is supposed to come from...

--
"If Congress had nothing to sell, then        Jack McKinney
 special interests would have nothing to buy" http://www.lorentz.com
 - Geoffrey Neale, national chair of the      jackmc at lorentz.com
 Libertarian Party, 2003                      1024D/12C23A80 4096g/CA714907
2003 Chicago Cubs magic number: 162