Customized views?

Jack McKinney jackmc-gnucash at lorentz.com
Wed Jul 16 14:53:20 CDT 2003

Big Brother tells me that James Leone wrote:

> First let me say that writing your own program is impressive, and
> believe it or not, if you adopted the GPL for your application and made
> it available for download at Sourceforge.net, you may find additional
> people helping you maintain and develop the application.

    That was my plan, but I never took the time to do the last several
things I needed in order to get it ready for distribution.  There are
other ones out there by now anyway (http://www.sql-ledger.com).

> >Short Version:
>
> You basically want a way to sort like accounts

    Sort of.  Pardon the pun.

> >Long Version:
> >    My checking account has several subaccounts: Housing, Utilities, Car,
> >Groceries, etc.  I get paid twice a month.  Each paycheck, I distribute a
> >corresponding amount to the several subaccounts,
> >
> Just some advice. Do what you want.... :-)
>
> (Side note: The accounting method described above is much like
> governmental accounting, rules set in the USA by www.gasb.org)

    Cool.  I'll have to look at that!

> Can you set a budget, not as an additional accounts or sub accounts, but
> as a different trial balance using the same account numbers? My guess is
> that this will save you time and complication.
>
> You can calculate how much you are within budget by comparing the two
> trial balances. Saves a lot of entries. Part 2 below.

     I do not grok this at all.  I am not familiar with trial balances.

> Yes this what CPA's call lead sheets.

     Cool!  Another google-able item.  Thanks!

> Another way to accomplish a grouping, is to use the account number
> structure to sort like accounts.
>
> 100.111   Cash
> 100.222   Cash - Life Savings Portfolio
> 110.111   Savings
> 110.222   Savings - Life Savings Portfolio

    Hmmm... kind of a kludge, but workable.  However, it gets tricky if
you want to have a given account appear in multiple groupings...

--
"We can throw rocks"                               Jack McKinney
   - Mike, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress",         http://www.lorentz.com
     Robert A. Heinlein                            jackmc at lorentz.com
                                                   1024D/12C23A80 4096g/CA714907
2003 Chicago Cubs magic number: 162