GNUcash crashes on save - losing all changes

John Zoetebier john.zoetebier at transparent.co.nz
Thu Jul 17 10:34:16 CDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:08:37 +0100, Vincent V <vincentv at dsl.pipex.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the input John, but Graham has really picked up on the main
> point of my message.
> The reason I sent it in was because another (new) user had reported
> something similar but was unable to replicate it. I, the on the other
> hand, suspected what the cause might be and did a bit of experimenting to
> prove it. As a software engineer myself, I know that the first thing you
> need to do to pinpoint a bug is to reproduce it systematically, so this
> information should be useful to the developers.
>
> When the 'file lock' warning (not error) came up I thought it had
> something to do with my file transfer and when it refused to save I was
> pretty sure that the file permissions were wrong for some reason, but it
> should have allowed me to do a 'save as' and under no circumstances
> should it have crashed.
>
> By the way, did you try it yourselves and get the same results?

I repeated the steps and got the same result, if the folder is read-only.
If only the files are read-only there is no problem.

In this case you can argue that the system should check file permissions
before continuing or saving files.
However there are a zillion other ways in which things can go wrong and if
GnuCash wants to check for each of them people will start complaining that
it is so slow.
I still feel that GnuCash gave a valid warning message.
In addition I feel that the design of an application can make some
reasonable assumptions about its environment.
Otherwise you end up replicating a security system in your application.

Someone suggested to display a "save as", however from a security point of
view this may be not acceptable.
For example you have a read-only version on CD ROM which you use for demo
purposes on a trade show.
Now you do not want people to make a copy of your data by using "save as"
,right ?
This may not be the best example, but my fear is that at last people want
the system to make coffee as well :)

--
John Zoetebier
Web site: http://www.transparent.co.nz