.xac and .log files?

Chris Shenton chris at shenton.org
Thu Jul 17 10:56:33 CDT 2003

Kevin Kempter <kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com> writes:

> in the directory where i saved my gnucash file I see a growing number
> of .xac and .log files the .xac files (i.e. GCdata.20030714162346.xac)
> are over 5meg each. What are these files for and can I delete them?

Take a look at

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/backup1.html

At the end it says:

    So which files should you keep around? Keep your main data file,
    of course - data files do not have an automatic file
    extension. It's a good idea to keep some of the more recent .xac
    files, but you can safely delete the .log files since they are not
    complete copies of your data. You should also delete any .LCK and
    .LNK files that you see after closing GnuCash. If you decide to
    manually back up your data file to another disk, you only need to
    back up the main data file - not the .xac files.