Starting a new account

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Thu Jul 17 12:23:10 CDT 2003

Aaron Siegel wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have been using Gnucash for several years I would like to start a new
> account to clean up my file so I will not be able to see how much I paid for
> college. I want to enter in the opening balance of my mutual funds but I do
> not want to go back five year and recreate all that old information (I would
> also like to focus on what I have and not what I had). I have tired to do
> this a few different ways creating a old asset account to transfer the funds
> from and then left th the number of shares blank, the value of each share and
> then the number of share in the buy field.  This will result in a entry with
> the price set to one and the  balance to the number of shares. I have tried
> serval different ways and I can not get the price to enter in at any value
> other than 1.
>
> I use to be able to enter in quotes by entering the price and number of
> shares. Can I still do that? How?  I am using version 1.8.4

Aaron-

I think (maybe wrong) that you are encountering ye' old "commodity set
to a currency" issue with stocks (and mutual funds).

Try following the instructions here:
http://www.jandr.org/temp/gnucashdocs/invest_setup1.html

and let me know if it helps.  Try to do this only by reading the
documentation.  The docs are new, and I want to see if they are usable.

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil