questions about recording stock transactions ...

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 17 16:32:18 CDT 2003

dcw <dwoody1 at airmail.net> writes:

> I am reviewing Gnucash to see if it does what I need. After looking at the
> documentation I have several questions.
>
> I buy and sell stock options. Should they be entered just like a stock
> transaction? If so, how does Gnucash know or how would you indicate that the
> option had expired?

GnuCash does not handle options inherently.  There is no way to
maintain an expiry date on an option.  You can record options like
stocks, but you'll have to handle expiry yourself, by hand.  Gnucash
does not inherently handle option trading.

> I there anyway to import a QIF file automatically or do I have to be at the
> keyboard to do it?

You have to be at the keyboard.

> Also, can a report be printed automatically or does that require
> keyboard/mouse input?

It requires at least keyboard input.  There is no batch-mode report
printing that I know of.

> Other than the above questions Gnucash fits my needs very well.

Great. :)