Crash recovery granularity

Trevor Barton tmb at isotek.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 10:01:15 CDT 2003

I'm sure it's well thought out, but can someone give me some indication of the
crash recovery granularity for gnucash.  By that I mean, if the program were to
crash while I was in the process of entering data, how much entered but unsaved
data could I expect to recover on restart?

To put it in context, I've recently moved from Quicken to gnucash.  Quicken
seems to commit transactions to disk as soon as they are entered, and, although
it has crashed a fair number of times over the period I've been using it it has
never either lost data or corrupted its database, and I suspect that because it
carefully handles its files and commits.

I'm sure gnucash does, too, and I see there are a number of log files and others
written to the disk as I progress.  Will they give me an up-to-the-minute
recovery after a crash, or can I expect to lose some data?  Does gnucash detect
on startup that the main database and the log files are inconsistent and offer
recovery choices?

I hasten to add that it's not crashed on me yet.  However, I feel nervous enough
to be continually saving the database, and really what I'm after is some sort of
reassurance that I don't need to be doing that!

Trev