GNUcash crashes on save - losing all changes

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 30 11:48:28 CDT 2003

Vincent V <vincentv at dsl.pipex.com> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> >I'll note that GnuCash does not have the concept of opening a data
> >file as "read-only"...  So, providing an "open as read-only" and "open
> >normally" doesn't do anything, because as far as gnucash is concerned
> >they are the same.
> >
> I suppose that the most important thing is to warn (or reassure!) the
> user that any changes made will be lost when the innability to obtain
> a file lock is due to a lack of write permissions. Without the concept
> of 'read-only' the choices in the other scenario for lack of file lock
> are, as you say, meaningless.

This has already been done (see bug #117665).  If the lockfile cannot
be obtained due to permissions or some other "readonly" situation
(e.g. a ReadOnly file system, so the CREAT fails), the warning message
is different.

> I noticed that the other day after I had forgotten to shut down
> GNUcash before logging off. Yet I thought that I had copied it
> verbatum, is there a diffference the first time you use GNUcash after
> installing - or am I just going loopy?  Still, the concept of 'not
> obtaining a file lock' will sound serious and confusing to the average
> user.

It is serious.  It means "something went wrong!"  An unclean shutdown
is certainly something wrong.

> Ideally you would prompt the user and ask (if thats possible). If not,
> save the data to a  'recovery' file and ask the user whether to  use
> that file or the last user saved file next time the user opens it.

That may not be possible, either...