GNUcash crashes on save - losing all changes

Vincent V vincentv at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jul 30 12:55:27 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins wrote:

>I'll note that GnuCash does not have the concept of opening a data
>file as "read-only"...  So, providing an "open as read-only" and "open
>normally" doesn't do anything, because as far as gnucash is concerned
>they are the same.

I suppose that the most important thing is to warn (or reassure!) the
user that any changes made will be lost when the innability to obtain a
file lock is due to a lack of write permissions. Without the concept of
'read-only' the choices in the other scenario for lack of file lock are,
as you say, meaningless.

>Note that the current string is:
>
>		 _("GnuCash could not obtain the lock for\n"
>		   "   %s.\n"
>		   "That database may be in use by another user,\n"
>		   "in which case you should not open the database.\n"
>		   "\nWhat would you like to do?") :
>
>In other words, it _DOES_ say that "that database may be in use by
>another user."

I noticed that the other day after I had forgotten to shut down GNUcash
before logging off. Yet I thought that I had copied it verbatum, is
there a diffference the first time you use GNUcash after installing - or
am I just going loopy?  Still, the concept of 'not obtaining a file
lock' will sound serious and confusing to the average user.

>As for being more proactive about removing the lockfile, I'm a bit
>torn about that.  What happens if you try to exit gnome but still have
>unsaved changes in gnucash?

Ideally you would prompt the user and ask (if thats possible). If not,
save the data to a  'recovery' file and ask the user whether to  use
that file or the last user saved file next time the user opens it.

>I do agree that gnucash should clean up better
>on a "clean" shutdown, but I'm still not convinced that exiting gnome
>is necessarily a clean shutdown.  Is Ctl-Alt-Backspace a clean shutdown?
>What about a power outage?
>
>-derek

Vince
PS the bug number for Bill's comments is 118556