GNUcash crashes on save - losing all changes

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 29 13:35:41 CDT 2003

I'll note that GnuCash does not have the concept of opening a data
file as "read-only"...  So, providing an "open as read-only" and "open
normally" doesn't do anything, because as far as gnucash is concerned
they are the same.

Note that the current string is:

		 _("GnuCash could not obtain the lock for\n"
		   "   %s.\n"
		   "That database may be in use by another user,\n"
		   "in which case you should not open the database.\n"
		   "\nWhat would you like to do?") :

In other words, it _DOES_ say that "that database may be in use by
another user."

As for being more proactive about removing the lockfile, I'm a bit
torn about that.  What happens if you try to exit gnome but still have
unsaved changes in gnucash?  I do agree that gnucash should clean up better
on a "clean" shutdown, but I'm still not convinced that exiting gnome
is necessarily a clean shutdown.  Is Ctl-Alt-Backspace a clean shutdown?
What about a power outage?

-derek