Incorrect balances in Accounts window

Diane Mackay diane at mackmoon.com
Wed Jul 30 15:52:34 CDT 2003

Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Jon/Diane -
>
> Are you, by chance, using the General Ledger to enter transactions?
>
> It looks like the problem occurs when I enter transactions in the G/L,
> whether or not they are split.  (Of course, one wouldn't normally use
> the General Ledger to enter simple transactions.)

I have used the General Ledger to enter transactions at times.  I am not
sure if the issue is related to those times, but I will pay attention
better in the future.  I have not seen it for a bit, and I don't believe
I have used the General Ledger for a bit.  I can almost remember last
time it happened, but I cannot quite remember what I was doing at the
time.  Seems like I was making a payment, and the associated account
paybable balance should have zeroed, but it did not.  But it fixed
itself when I closed and came back in again...I suspected that it would.

The first time I saw it was just after entering the first half of year
of data, when I set up GnuCash for the first time.  When I finished
entering my data I was looking at the account totals in the Accounts
view.  I then realized I had forgotten a transaction, might have been
creation of an Asset account.  (Sorry for the bad memory here.  I
probably should have documented it as it was happening.)  When I was
done with the entry, I went back to the Accounts screen, the Assets not
longer equalled Liabilites + OE, because one of the fields totals (maybe
OE?) had not changed.  I did panic a bit, but it had been a long day.  I
closed everything down and went away.  I am sure my intention was to
come back, figure it out and create a bug report.  But when I came back
in the next morn, it was ok again.  I did use the general ledger to
enter some transactions during that spell, because I needed to see the
debits and credits to think thru some of the transactions.  Since then,
I know I have seen it again, but it hasn't worried me so much, because
it fixes itself when you exit and come in again.  I have not recognized
a pattern showing when it occurs.

Diane