Crash recovery granularity

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Thu Jul 31 16:18:55 CDT 2003

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Through 1.8.4, the granularity is "the last time you hit the "save"
> button".  Unfortunately there is nothing to actually read the logs.
> This will change in 1.8.5 where there exists a new log format and an
> actual "log replay" feature.

Derek-

I see the "Import -> Replay GnuCash .log file" option in the latest CVS
version of 1.8.

Can you give me a quick paragraph for the docs on this?

This would go in "2.7. Backing Up and Protecting Data", which has
already introduced the fact that GnuCash writes a .log file recording
changes done in the current GnuCash session.

Or, fix this attempt at understanding something I've never used:

Data Recovery:
In case you exit GnuCash inadvertently, possibly due to a power outage
or a system wide crash, it is possible to recover some of your work
since the last time you save your GnuCash file.  First, open the last
saved GnuCash file, then go to "File" -> "Import" -> "Replay GnuCash
.log file" and select the .log file with the date later than the saved
file you just opened.  This will replay the transactions that had
occurred since the last save.

Note: this will not recover  XXXX (I don't know, Derek?)

--
  Jon Lapham  <lapham at extracta.com.br>          Rio de Janeiro, Brasil