GNUCash crash and recover

Roland Roberts roland at astrofoto.org
Fri Jun 13 17:33:48 CDT 2003

    Derek> The only way, currently, is to re-enter them by hand.  The
    Derek> next version (1.8.5) will have a log replay function, but
    Derek> it also changes the log format so it wont really help you
    Derek> now.

Is an auto-save option also in the works?

While I'm asking, I'll note my wish-list on auto-save features:

    o Time based, e.g., offer every X minutes.  This is crude and I
      find it annoying sometimes to be prompted to autosave when I
      know nothing changed because I was away from my desk for 30
      minutes, but it would be better than nothing.

    o Transaction change based, e.g., whenever I get X new/modified
      transactions, offer to save.  This doesn't sound hard (to me,
      but I'm not writing it...), and it has the nice feature of
      putting a limit on how much you can lose.

    o "Significant" event based, e.g., offer to save when certain
      actions are performed.  I'm thinking of things like (1) a
      reconcile is completely, (2) a scheduled transaction is
      added/modified, (3) a register window is closed (if there were
      changes in that register).  Each of those things are likely to
      mark the end of some "significant" bit of work.  Some of these
      are probably not too hard, e.g., (1).

Since I had GnuCash crash on me twice in the past two days, in both
cases after doing a large amount of work, I've been thinking about
this a bit more (and hitting the "Save" button a bit more often, too).
It crashed once after I had reconciled 3 months worth of credit card
statements and while I was in the middle of the 4th and last month
that needed doing.  It crashed a second time after I had reconciled 8
months worth of 401k statements on three accounts and while I was
working on the 4th account.  The offer to save after closing a
register and after a reconcile would have saved me.  Of course, when I
re-entered all the data, I *did* save after each reconcile and after
closing each register and of course GnuCash performed flawlessly.

I'm actually trying to figure out if the problem I've been having is
memory related or even more general.  GnuCash is not alone in having
crashed unexpectedly---GNU Emacs has done it a couple of times and so
has Mozilla.  This is off-topic, but does anyone know of any good
tools for exercising my machine's memory and CPU?

regards,

roland
- --
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD