initial balanace

bri bhh_mail at mail.com
Sat Jun 14 17:16:15 CDT 2003

Greetings. New gnucash user; right now setting up accounts and importing
.qif files from my various accounts. I've had problems with some of
them, but i'll bring those issues up in seperate notes.

This one is about opening balances. I made the mistake of setting up
some of my accounts and importing .qif data before setting an opening
balance. And you can't go in and do it afterward. But, it looks like the
'way around this' is to create an equity account and have the other end
of the opening balance for an account go there. Is that right?

However, I'm having problems with a mutual fund account - when I try to
create a new Mutual fund, it won't let me do the opening balance on the
'new' windows - the opening balance stuff is grey-ed out and
unselectable. why? Again, is the way around this to create an equity
account for the opening balance and put it in there?

thx!  .bri.