initial balanace

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jun 14 22:56:37 CDT 2003

bri <bhh_mail at mail.com> writes:

> Greetings. New gnucash user; right now setting up accounts and
> importing .qif files from my various accounts. I've had problems with
> some of them, but i'll bring those issues up in seperate notes.
>
> This one is about opening balances. I made the mistake of setting up
> some of my accounts and importing .qif data before setting an opening
> balance. And you can't go in and do it afterward. But, it looks like
> the 'way around this' is to create an equity account and have the
> other end of the opening balance for an account go there. Is that
> right?

Yep.  Indeed, what the "opening balance" does during account creation
is exactly that -- creates a transaction between that account and
"Equity:Opening Balances".  So yes, doing it by hand is exactly what
you should do.

> However, I'm having problems with a mutual fund account - when I try
> to create a new Mutual fund, it won't let me do the opening balance on
> the 'new' windows - the opening balance stuff is grey-ed out and
> unselectable. why? Again, is the way around this to create an equity
> account for the opening balance and put it in there?

I don't know exactly, but my guess is that you need to create the
opening balance both in # shares and total value.  Just do it by hand.