Stock price calculator bug

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 18 12:20:31 CDT 2003

Hi.

plussier at mindspring.com writes:

>   David> I have a problem with the stock calculator. When I try to put
>   David> a record gnucash always convert the price to '1' and convert
>   David> the 'shares' number and the 'buy' number to an odd number.

>   Rene> i have a similar problem with gnucash-1.6.6 on solaris
>
> I remember this happening under 1.6.6, but if you edited the stock
> account ledger manually, everything was fine. I'm not sure what's
> going on with 1.8.2, I just tried it, and ran into the same problem.

The problem is that you've got your stock accounts created
incorrectly.  In particular, you did not properly set the
stock commodity.

To fix this: select the stock account from the account tree, then
click "edit", then at "Commodity:" you'll probably see your usual
currency.  Click "Select" and then either select your stock commodity
or create a new commodity for your stock.

Once you set the stock commodity it should let you set a price
other than 1.

> But not only that, the fields were wrong!
>
> If I moved $3000 from my "checking" account to my "stock" account,
> the stock ledger said I had 1 share at $3000/share.  If I then tried
> to edit that transaction to be X shares at $3000/X per share, then
> tried to record the transaction, it "auto-balanced" the transaction
> and said I had 1 share at $2998.98 per share?!
>
> Something is rather fluky in there me thinks :)

Uhh, yea, this seems rather flunky to me, too...  What version of gnucash
is this?  If 1.8.2, then upgrade to 1.8.4.  If 1.8.4, please file a bug
report