Integrating Inventory System into GNUCash.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 20 00:01:33 CDT 2003

Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> writes:

> >From what I have read on the Architecture web page, if my understanding
> is correct, GnuCash appears to be written in mostly guile/scheme. The

Nope, it's mostly written in C.  Scheme (guile) is a secondary
portion, used mostly for scripting and some ancillary functionality.
All the core functionality is in C.  Indeed, it's about 250KloC and
about 47KloScheme.  So over 80% is C.

> Price/Quotes component mentioned, appears to be in Perl. If someone was
> to write an inventory component, could it be written in Perl?

Well, the code to obtain the quotes from Yahoo is a perl script and
gnucash calls out to it, and the perl returns a bunch of strings that
are parsed by gnucash.  There are no perl hooks into gnucash, so you
cannot write extentions in perl.  This implies that writing an
inventory module in Perl would not be possible.  You have to use C
(and maybe scheme).