Inventory and GST

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Jun 23 13:27:01 CDT 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, George Osvald wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:41:00 +1000
> From: George Osvald <mail at okstudio.com.au>
> To: gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org
> Subject: Inventory and GST
>
> Two questions:
> How do I set up an Inventory of all products (broken down to parts if
> possible)? Do I create a normal account under assets with all the products
> and descriptions?
> Is quantity pricing possible in GNUcash?
>
> How to set up GNUcash for Australian GST? I am using cash GST system and GST
> is calculated only at the time of the transaction. I have to report GST paid
> and received every quarter and then get a refund or pay.
> Could I set two GST tax accounts. one for credits and another one for
> payments? Then I would check all customers that GST applies to with GST
> collected tax account and all the vendors with GST paid tax account.
> I would also need two AR/AP accounts. AR with GST, AR GST Free, AP with GST
> and AP GST Free. Maybe another global AR and AP for totals without taxes.
>

> Is this correct or am I overcomplicating it?

It is my understanding of the GST in Australia, that the GST applies to
all customers; and that it is the goods/services which are
differentiated - whether the chicken is above 20 degrees centigrade
(room temperature), making it subject to GST, or, less than room
teperature, making it exempt from GST, and, likewise, whether the
coffee beans are ground or not, determining whether they are subject to
GST, and all that rubbish.

The only differentiation as to whether parties (people, businesses,
organisations) are subject to GST, applies to whether they are to charge
GST (whether the vendor is to charge GST), and, not whether they are to
be charged GST (whether the customer gets charged GST). If the party is
registered for GST, then the party is entitled, and, required, to charge
GST, otherwise the party is not entitled or required to charge GST.

You might want to contact the ATO, to clarify all of this.

I have previously obtained a ruling from the ATO, relating to the GST
applicability to LETS (barter organisations) organisations and
transactions. See http://www.busby.net/wallets/GST_Ruling.html , and the
part "What is GST? An overview", for some brief information about
charging of the GST in Australia.

I believe that, in terms of using GnuCash for GST reporting, the best
thing to do (apart for programming for the variously continually
changing reporting requirements), is to
1) include a field for the organisation using the application, to flag
whether the organisation is registered for the GST; if yes, then all
services have a GST component, and, the calculations for invoices and
reports would then check for 2); and
2) include a field for the (yet to be created module) inventory
component, where each inventory item has a flag field; something like
"Subject to GST?"; and
3) include a field, dependent on 1), that is the GST rate (depending on
the particular state/country, assuming that the GST rate is constant
for the country, and not variable, depending on the item).

It must be considered, I believe, that GnuCash is (I believe) designed
for international use, rather than for the specific accounting
requirements of a particular country, and, as such, significant
variations could apply for the implementation of tax inclusion. For
example, in New Zealand, the GST applies to everything and (I believe),
to all businesses. As an example, here in Australia, I am an Amway
Distributor (this is NOT advertising or promotional). In Australia, an
Amway Distributor may or may not be registered for the GST, so an Amway
Distributor may or may not charge GST on the Distributor's component of
pricing, and may or may not be paid GST by Amway, on bonuses, depending
on whether the Distributor is registered for the GST. If the annual
turnover of the Distributor's business, is greater than 50,000AUD, then
the Distributor is required to be registered for GST, from memory. If
the Distributor's annual turnover is less than the threshold, then the
Distributor may be registered for GST, but is not required to register.
Apart from that differentiation between the two countries, some product
lines in Australia, are subject to GST, and, some are not. So, in
Australia, using GnuCash for an Amway Distributorship business, with a
GST component in the accounting system, would require two components
(apart from the addition of the yet to be created Inventory System); the
first being whether the Amway Distributor is registered for the GST,
and, the second, being which particular inventory items are subject to
the GST. As an example, toilet cleaner is subject to GST, as is laundry
detergent and dishwashing detergent and toothpaste, and, pasta sauce,
salad dressing, canned tuna (exempt for human food, subject to GST
for pet food) are not subject to GST. All lines are subject to GST, in
NZ, from my understanding.

Oh, and, in Australia, I believe that GST oriented accounting software,
also has to include (where a party is registered for the GST), the
party's ARBN and/or GST registration number, which are to show on all
documents relating to the GST (invoices and GST reporting), from memory.
That means a requirement for an extra one or two fields, the second
being dependent on GST registration. That may or may not apply in NZ, I
do not know.

And, as far as I am aware, the GST rate is different in NZ, so the field
for the GST rate. would be required.

As all business are required to be registered for the GST in NZ, and,
due to the reporting requirements, some small businesses
(microbusinesses with small turnovers) closed down, and, that included
some Amway Distributorships giving up in NZ.

However, while all of that applies to the (relatively) simple
differences in the sales tax components between NZ and Australia, which
both have GST, not all countries have GST - some still have wholesale
taxes, which vary in their application between different countries, and,
from what I understand, the wholesale and other sales tax rates, vary
between different goods and services within the same country, and, from
what I understand, from memory, in countries that are federated, like
the USA, sales and/or wholesale taxes, apply to goods and services, with
both state and federal components, like the monumental botch-up with
petrol pricing in Australia, where, I believe, apart from the federal
and state taxes levied on petrol, the GST also applies. We were led to
believe that the GST would replace all the petrol taxes, when the
election was held, that elected the government that imposed the
horrendous GST system in Australia, but, that's another story.

So, after all of that.... I believe and suggest that, for GnuCash to
incorporate tax components like Australian GST components, so it can be
used for GST reporting, apart from the need for Inventory System
module(s), it needs for local components to be written for each
state/country, as applicable, which would require knowledgeable people
in each state/country, to write the country-specific modules, as
add-ons. I believe that the resultant modules and their output, would
need regular updating, and checking, by a tax accountant, and/or the
state/country-specific tax office, for legality, if the software is to
be used for tax invoices and for tax reporting, as in Australia.

Then, the result would be, for example, that a person would instal
"GnuCash-generic" (with, when it happens, an incorporated Inventory
System... :) ), devoid of sales/wholesales taxes, and, if the party
wants to incorporate sales/wholesale taxes into the accounting, then
installing an add-on, state/country-specific module, specific to the
state/country's particular taxes and reporting requirements, with the
add-on module being updated as frequently as required, to keep pace
with any changes as they occur.

That is partly why accounting software in Australia, has become
prohibitively expensive for microbusinesses; the software development
people have an ongoing job, trying to keep up with the unstable GST
requirements, and are required to continuously change the software.

As an example, when commercial accounting software in Australia, finally
caught up with the introduction of the GST, from memory, Quick Books
Professional was selling for about 300AUD; now it is (only a couple of
years later) selling for about 1500AUD. Either it is expensive and very
involved, to maintain GST-compliant software in Australia, in an
attempt to keep pace with the unstable GST requirements, or, the
Australian dollar is going the way of the second-world-war deutschemark,
or, both.

It all sounds very complicated, and, would (I believe) take much work,
on an ongoing basis (to keep up with the continuously changing
Australian GST requirements, for example), but, I believe that that is
the nature of what would be required.

I think, however, that an integrated Inventory System component (devoid
of taxes, at this stage; start simple, get it up and running, THEN
elaborate), as recently mentioned, would be a good step on the way to
enhancement.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a tax professional or a qualified accountant, and
this is all NOT professional advice - this is all from my understanding
of the way things are.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale