Stock Option Accouting?

plussier at mindspring.com plussier at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 25 14:31:27 CDT 2003

In a message dated: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:25:09 +0200
Arnaud Launay said:

>Then, add the number of your stocks and the price in the account.

You just have remember that when looking at the various balances and
reports that all your Assets are now inflated by
"the number of options X strike price" for each set of options you
have, but don't really own.

And, when excercising these options, you need to remember to transfer
the cash with which you're purchasing the options to correct account
and the options which are now shares into a different account.

In short, it can be done, but it's going to be tedious and confusing
to do it right.  If you employer has an agreement with a
brokerage which is managing this for you, they likely have a web site
you can log into to view all this information.  Just use that, then
update GnuCash only when an actual transaction takes place.
--

Seeya,
Paul