A simple End-of-Period question

rwh webmeister at zzbzurich.ch
Sat Jun 28 09:21:36 CDT 2003

davidxgreen at netscape.net wrote:

>I have a very simple question regarding the closing of accounts at the end of
the accounting period.

>I have been running GnuCash for a couple of months in a trial manner and want
to tranisition to full use for the next financial year (July 03 - Jun 04).

>How do I close off the accounts and begin afresh in the new accounting year?
That is, roll-over the balances but clear out the transactions?

--

Somewhere in one of the gnucash manuals or posts etc, the question of how to
handle eoy summaries was approached  like so:

Create the following accts.:

assets/income/income_summary
assets/expenses/expense_summary
assets/currentassets/grand_summary

these accts contain a single entry for each income/expense category closing
entry eg

assets/income/income_summary:widget_sales		+$$$$$$
this is the closing $$ balance in widget_sales on 31.12.jjjj

you will no longer be able to create a P&L statement dated 31.12.jjjj as the
accts will have a 0$ balance. workaround in "options" by setting the
reporting period to 01.01.jjjjj - 30.12.jjjj. (that seems to work ok)

create similar closing xsactions for all income and expense accts.
now, close these two accts out to:
assets/currentassets:grand_summary
and then
close out grand_summary to the equity account.

by creating:

assets/income/income_summary
assets/expenses/expense_summary

one creates, in effect, a summary transaction register.

seems to work for me. what do you think?

robert

"Yogah chitta vritti nirodah."
-patanjali
webmeister at zzbzurich.ch