Using PostgreSQL

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 10:33:17 CST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 09:52, Dwayne Miller wrote:
> I've finally managed to get Gnucash up and running.  Took an upgrade
> from RH7.2 to RH8.0 to do it, but it's done.  I've also installed the
> latest version of PostgreSQL and would like to set up my new Gnucash to
> use the PostgreSQL backend.  But can't figure out how.

If you installed the gnucash-backend-postgres package, there is a readme
under /usr/share/doc/gnucash-backend-postgres-1.8.1 that should prove
usefule.

> I used the RPMs to install Gnucash (from sourceforge)... does that come
> compiled with PG support?  If so, a small pointer in the right direction
> would be greatly appreciated.  So far, I have Gnucash installed, but I
> have not done anything to set up any accounts.

You'll need to install the above mentioned package.  Be sure to *not*
create the database manually-let Gnucash do that.  Also, by "latest
PostgreSQL", I presume you mean v7.3.2.  There are one or two issues
with using that version of PostgreSQL that will be fixed in Gnucash
1.8.2 (centering on the obsolescence of any reference to DATETIME in PG
7.3.x).

> Also, as I work a lot with SQL... where could I find a list of things
> that don't work as they should with the Gnucash PG backend?  Maybe I can
> help out in this area.

What's there pretty much works.  The Scheduled Transactions and Business
objects are not supported.  Basic accounting functionality works fine.
I'm rewriting the whole kit-n-kaboodle because the whole design and
operation is inefficient IMO (especially over a network, which is how
you'd expect to use a database application).  It's not very extensible,
and is somewhat difficult to maintain, I've discovered.  It is, however,
a good reference implementation.  You're welcome to submit patches,
etc., for things you find that don't work well.

--
Matthew Vanecek