Invoices and payments with multiple currencies

Doug Rinckes doug1001 at redclock.net
Thu Mar 13 21:18:39 CST 2003

(Using gnucash 1.8.2, RH8.0 rpm)

When processing invoices and payments, currencies do not seem to be
converting.

I have a customer, who is configured to use USD.  I created an invoice for
a total of 100 (I understand that it inherits the currency from the
customer setting?)

When this is posted, the currency setting on both the "Accounts Receivable"
account and the income account is ignored.  The amount is not converted but
   a value of 100 is added, ignoring the difference in the currency values.
  NB: A USD<>GBP rate is defined, and it isn't 1.  ;-)

The same thing happens when the payment is processed - the currency
settings are ignored.

Is this working as designed?  If so, is anyone else using gnucash to track
invoices etc in multiple currencies and how have you set things up?

Another, slightly related question regards Finance::Quote.  Is gnucash
supposed to use this to automatically get currency rates?  Is there
something I have to do to enable this?  (My system has a broadband
connection so is always connected, and a small Finance::Quote test program
works OK.)

Cheers

Doug Rinckes