Invoices and payments with multiple currencies

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 13 16:36:53 CST 2003

Doug Rinckes <doug1001 at redclock.net> writes:

> (Using gnucash 1.8.2, RH8.0 rpm)
>
> When processing invoices and payments, currencies do not seem to be
> converting.

I'm not surprised.

> I have a customer, who is configured to use USD.  I created an invoice
> for a total of 100 (I understand that it inherits the currency from
> the customer setting?)

That is correct -- the invoice currency is the customer currency.

> When this is posted, the currency setting on both the "Accounts
> Receivable" account and the income account is ignored.  The amount is
> not converted but  a value of 100 is added, ignoring the difference in
> the currency values. NB: A USD<>GBP rate is defined, and it isn't 1.
> ;-)

I'm not surprised.

I never finished dealing with multiple currencies from the business
features.  I didn't need it myself, and I never really tested it.  So,
yea, while it will happily "USE" muliple currencies, it does not
actually deal with exchange rates while posting to accounts of
different commodities.

> The same thing happens when the payment is processed - the currency
> settings are ignored.

Yep, same code...  Same problem :)

> Is this working as designed?  If so, is anyone else using gnucash to track
> invoices etc in multiple currencies and how have you set things up?

"designed"?  Well, I never really tried to implement a
multiple-currency invoicing system.  Note that not only are you going
to have exchange-rate problems into the A/R account, but you'll also
have them into the various income accounts.

The quick workaround is to have multiple Income and A/R accounts,
one for each currency.

Please feel free to file an RFE on this, but I don't know when I'll
get the chance to work on this.

> Another, slightly related question regards Finance::Quote.  Is gnucash
> supposed to use this to automatically get currency rates?  Is there
> something I have to do to enable this?  (My system has a broadband
> connection so is always connected, and a small Finance::Quote test
> program works OK.)

No, it does not use it to get currency quotes, and I dont think there
is any way to set up gnucash to do so.