Assets and bills

Doug Rinckes doug1001 at redclock.net
Mon Mar 17 12:54:04 CST 2003

I'm trying to figure out how to enter a transaction into Gnucash where an
asset is bought, and then billed for.

The specific case is:
1. I get 100 books from a printer;
2. They send me a bill;
3. I pay it.

What I'm not sure about is what do I enter in the gnucash bill column
"expense account"?  Should it be an expense account or an asset account
such as "books in stock"?

I struggled with whether the delivery of the asset can be separated from
the input of the bill - does this even make sense?

What I have done is entered a bill with the asset account, posted it to
accounts payable and then paid that off.

It does mean that this expenditure doesn't appear in the expense report
though.  Is that right?

Thanks,

Doug