Time invoicing report question

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 17 23:15:05 CST 2003

David Glick <dglick at cox.net> writes:

> Thanks for the response, Derek.  I did look at the customer report, but I was
> uncertain as to what to do in the case when I'm asked to reprint an older
> invoice.  I assume that the customer report is a snapshot of the system at
> the time the report is generated, correct?  I was hoping to save everything
> needed to reprint an invoice at a later date, so I could avoid having to keep
> paper copies of everything (Timeslips is also lacking in this regard).
> However, if there's no better way, I can certainly attach the customer report
> to the back of each invoice.

Well, ALL reports are a snapshot of the system at the time when the
report is run.  That notwithstanding, if you want to re-print an
invoice why can't you just reprint it?  Business -> Customer -> Find
Invoice then pop it up and click 'Print'.  In way is this not
sufficient to reprint an invoice?

I guess that I still don't understand exactly what you're trying
to do....

> Also, I generally work several projects for each client simultaneously, and
> some of them prefer that I separate different projects on different pages of
> the invoice for their internal tracking purposes.  Is it possible to break up
> an invoice by job, with subtotals?  If not, is there somewhere to get the
> fundamentals so I can create my own reports?  Or, better yet, a description
> of the data format so I can try to create a driver that will allow an
> external report writer to be used?

It is not possible to separate a single invoice by job.  The current
model is one invoice per job.  All the items on that invoice are tied
to a specific job.  The best you could do is create a bunch of invoices,
one per job, and then print the customer report to combine them all
into a grand total.

> Thanks again for any  help,
>
> David Glick

-derek