Can't match OFX transactions with accounts

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Fri May 2 09:14:37 CDT 2003

On April 22, 2003 07:58 pm, Bill Wohler wrote:
> Bill Wohler <wohler at newt.com> writes:
> > Now, when I import these funds there is a dialog that asks me for an
> > income account for Fund A. The problem is, the dialog gives no
> > indication or hint as to which of these 6 accounts is it asking for! Is
> > there any way that the dialog can provide more information?
>
> By the way, I'm using James' Debian 1.8.2 package.
>
> I didn't mention that I have an OFX file that contains multiple
> accounts. It occurred to me that I could download each account
> separately, which would make it clear which asset accounts to use, but
> the dialog used to choose an income account still doesn't tell me
> whether to use a dividend, short- or long-term capital gain account. I
> suppose a workaround for that is to just choose the most popular income
> account (dividends) and move any misfiled transactions later.

Right now the importer only knows about income, whatever the source.  Frankly,
my knowledge of investement terminology, especially in english is probably
too limited to be able to improve it much further.  Especially since you are
actually the first real user who actually gave me feedback on ofx investement
support.

A sample file containing one or more transactions of each type as well as the
expected result might help me.

> It would still be cool to download and import just a single file and not
> have to refile misfiled transactions. If it is possible for the importer
> to provide enough context from the OFX file, shall I post an RFE? I
> didn't see anything like this there.

The importer should be able to discriminate which asset account to use even in
a single file, assuming you created or selected a different account for each
asset on your first import.

---
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/