BUG? Reports and accounts in different windows

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri May 2 11:24:32 CDT 2003

Hi,

> Something weird just happened to me. Last time I used GC, I was checking
> my accounts from last year. When I restarted GC, it loaded up last
> year's account. So I went to File | Open Recent and opened the file for
> this year.
>
> What followed is:
>
> - My scheduled trx window came up. I clicked OK
> - The accounts for 2003 opened in a new window
> - The reports from 2003 were updated in the window that held the
>   accounts for 2002
>
> Now, whenever I start GC, I get a window that opens only with the
> accounts in it, and another window that opens with all the reports I'd
> defined.
>
> Anyone else see this?

Actually, I have.  I hadn't found a way to reliably reproduce it,
and it was always happening when I was doing too many other things
to narrow it down.  But the way I fixed it was to:

- open the Edit -> Preferences dialog
- go to General
- click Show Advanced
- click Apply
- go to Advanced
- change the MDI type (I forget the actual name) from Notebook to something
  else (like Windows)
- click Apply
- change the type back to Notebook
- click Apply

It should all be a single window again.

One way I fixed this was to change my window-manager to auto-place new
windows.  The problem seems to be somewhat related to the delay in placing
a window....  I don't know why (I'm not an MDI expert).

Luckily MDI is going away in the gnome2 port.