sorting by check number

Kaaren Shalom & Richard Gilligan cosmodog at attbi.com
Fri May 16 16:38:41 CDT 2003

I am wondering how people deal with "sorting by check number" for
multiple checking accounts.

I am using gnucash 1.8.2 for my family finances, my one one man
landscape construction business, and a few units of rental income
property.

When I was tracking just one checking account in gnucash it was easy to
see if I had recorded all of my checks.  I put the check number in the
"num" field of the transaction.  In the checking account register I
could select menu:view:sort order:number and then quickly scan the num
column  looking for gaps in the sequence.  In the basic ledger view
this produced a nice compact list with very little visual distraction.

But now I have half a dozen checking accounts,  money is moving between
them all the time, and the check numbers for several of these accounts
are in a close range.

For example:

debit household spending money checking       $5000
credit spouse's  checking	                                         2000
  (check 256)
credit my checking
2000  (check 261)
credit rental property  checking	    	                       1000
(check 240)

This transaction has three check numbers to record somewhere.

I have started putting the check number in the split "action" field,
which is not a sort option AFAICT.  To verify that I have recorded all
my checks I now set the register style to"transaction ledger" and
scroll around a lot trying to remember which check numbers I have seen
without getting confused by similar looking but irrelevant check
numbers from other accounts.  As advancing age continues to degrade my
vision, and an increasing number of children contribute to grater
fatigue induced dyslexia, I have less and less confidence in this
process.

So how do _you_, fellow gnucash user, make sure you have recorded all
your checks?

Or more broadly, how do you fake "sort by check number" when the
transaction num field won't do the trick?

Thanks,

Richard