Setting Next Invoice Numbers?

Boris Goldowsky boris at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 13 18:56:04 CDT 2003

>David Powell <davidjp at uqconnect.net> writes:
>
>I'm continuing invoice numbers from my old system, so didn't want to start
>back at 000001.  At the moment I'm handling this by entering the next Inv
>number manually, but is there a way to make my next invoice number generate
>automatically from a figure I set?

Derek Atkins answers:

>Um, unfortunately there is no UI interface to do it.  You can do it by
>editing your XML data file by hand (it should be right at the
>beginning of the file inthe "counters" section).  I never really could
>figure out how important it was to set the invoice number, or perhaps
>to recompute it from an input number.
>
>What would you imagine as the UI for setting this value?  How would
>you imagine it working?

If I can jump in with my two cents, here's what I expected when I
started using the invoicing system.  The first time I generated an
invoice, I set the invoice number manually.  My expectation was that the
/next/ invoice generated would use that number plus 1.  So no separate
UI would be needed in that case, just a rule that says if you set an
invoice number manually then that number+1 goes into the counter for
next time  (perhaps checking that number+1 is not already used for
another invoice).

If I'm not mistaken, this is how Gnucash check numbering works, so it
would be consistent with that.

Boris
--
Boris Goldowsy