transfer from incoming

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon May 19 14:46:32 CDT 2003

Wait, one of us is extremely confused.

An income account is magic.  A normal (asset/liability) account starts
at zero and then you have to add an opening balance (add some cash) to
make it positive -- and then you make withdrawals to lower to value.
But as I said, an income account is magic... You DONT add an opening
balance -- you just pull money out of it.

So let's say I have a paycheck for $100.  I basically create a transaction
that says:

Paycheck
  Income          $100
  Bank    $100

Now you will find that your income account has a balance of $100 and
your bank account ALSO has a balance of $100.  Now let's say you spend
$20 on dinner.  You create another transaction:

Dinner
  Bank    $20
  Food           $20

Now the balances are: income $100; bank $80; food $20.

So, I really have no clue what you're trying to do or why you're having
so much trouble, unless you seem to think that you need to seed your
income account with an opening balance and "draw" from that.  But that's
not the way an income account works and is probably why you're confused.

I hope I've helped explain it now.

-derek