Business user guide

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 20 10:49:56 CDT 2003

Hi,

herman <herman at aerospacesoftware.com> writes:

> I've never had the pleasure(?) of using a real payroll module.  I have
> always used my manual kludge.   The reason being that once you have
> the split transaction set up, it becomes a simple matter to replicate
> the cheques.  Also, if you have one or two employees, it is your
> problem, but eventually, it becomes the secretary's problem! ;-)

Heh.  "SEP" (Somebody Else's Problem) is a major motivator... :)
It's one reason there is no payroll or inventory support -- I didn't
need them. :)

> Here in Canada, the WTOD program from the CCRA also alleviates much of
> the effort, but that is not true in other countries.  The big problem
> will be making a payroll module that is country independent.

This is what scheme is for -- it allows you to script up the varkious
tax rules and plug them in.  For example, I can easily see a script
that is given the gross pay and returns three values, the net pay, a
list of payroll deductions, and a list of company contributions.  Then
you could just create all the necessary transactions from that
information.

However you probably need more information to actually print a check;
you probably need to know if a payroll deduction is pre- or post- tax.

The question is: what kind of records do you need to keep.  For
example, do you need to know the total amount of gross payroll per
employee?  Or is that something that you compute later in an
end-of-year report?  If you need to keep it, does it need to be in an
account or perhaps an easily-computed value from an account?

Lots of complications....

-derek