Online Quotes for UK stocks and funds

Conor O'Neill Conor at puddle.co.uk
Tue May 20 21:42:59 CDT 2003

In message <1053393509.18443.19.camel at hampton-pc.rainbolthampton.org>,
David Hampton <hampton at employees.org> writes
>On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 09:36, Conor O'Neill wrote:
>> I don't know what bits to use, and what to answer, when asked for
>> commodity types, CUSIP codes, and the various permitted sources for
>> online quotes. I've managed to set up an example for Vodafone shares,
>> with stock code VOD, but the Yahoo Europe source then tells me they are
>> priced in Euros instead of pounds.
>
>I suspect you're getting the value in dollars, mistakenly labeled as
>Euros.  Finance::Quote has got a few problems in this regard.  The Yahoo
>Europe source assumes that all quotes are in Euros unless the stock
>symbol explicitly indicates that its from the London or Stockholm
>exchanges.  I've submitted a fix for this, but it has yet to make it
>into a new release.
>
>You should use the stock code VOD.L to get the price of Vodafone from
>the London exchange.  You can look up ticker symbols by going to
>http://finance.yahoo.com, clicking Symbol  Lookup, and the searching for
>the company name in World Markets.  Be sure to choose the symbol name
>appropriate to the London market.

OK, thanks for this. I have now added .L on the end, and it seems OK for
stocks. I had actually discovered this, by closer reading of the various
help pages.

But I still have no progress in seeing funds rather than stocks. Does
anyone know what symbols to use? I have tried some SEDOL numbers (which
I currently use in MS Money 99), but they don't seem to work. I've also
tried some ISIN numbers, but to no avail.

Conor O'Neill, at home in Bristol, UK                conor at puddle.co.uk