Online Quotes for UK stocks and funds

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Mon May 19 19:18:31 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-17 at 09:36, Conor O'Neill wrote:
> I don't know what bits to use, and what to answer, when asked for
> commodity types, CUSIP codes, and the various permitted sources for
> online quotes. I've managed to set up an example for Vodafone shares,
> with stock code VOD, but the Yahoo Europe source then tells me they are
> priced in Euros instead of pounds.

I suspect you're getting the value in dollars, mistakenly labeled as
Euros.  Finance::Quote has got a few problems in this regard.  The Yahoo
Europe source assumes that all quotes are in Euros unless the stock
symbol explicitly indicates that its from the London or Stockholm
exchanges.  I've submitted a fix for this, but it has yet to make it
into a new release.

You should use the stock code VOD.L to get the price of Vodafone from
the London exchange.  You can look up ticker symbols by going to
http://finance.yahoo.com, clicking Symbol  Lookup, and the searching for
the company name in World Markets.  Be sure to choose the symbol name
appropriate to the London market.

David