Switching from Quicken?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon May 26 16:41:33 CDT 2003

"Allan Beattie" <allan.beattie at terra.es> writes:

> The second statement implies that GnuCash can handle changes in conversion
> rates.  But if this is true, and it also "ensures balanced books", then it
> must have a way of keeping track of exchange gains and losses.  This is
> something that Quicken doesn't do (and I don't blame it; this is fairly
> heavy-duty accounting and I wouldn't necessarily expect to find it in a
> personal cash manager).  If GnuCash can do it, it's a big plus.  Even if it
> can't, I'd like to know what it does when you change a conversion rate.

Yes, gnucash 1.8 can handle convertion/exchange rates in a
transaction.  Unfortunately it does not do anything when you change
the exchange rate across multiple transactions.  Code to handle that
is in the works.  For now, you need to keep track of those kinds of
gains/losses by hand.

> Can anyone give me any relevant information?  Not only on the currency
> question, but on GnuCash generally.

Well, do you have any specific questions?