import format - which does gnucash handle better?

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mon Nov 3 21:58:13 CST 2003

On Monday 03 November 2003 08:12, bri wrote:
> So my bank now allows me to download my checking and savings account
> transactions in these formats:
>
> Microsoft Money (OFX) - Open Financial Exchange
> Microsoft Money (OFC)
> Microsoft Excel (CSV)- Comma separated values
> Quicken (QFX) - Open Financial Exchange
> Quicken (QIF)
>
> I've had quirks with qif before (transfers between the 2 accounts not
> getting automatically resolved as duplicates..) so I'll probably make
> copies of my books and try OFX and QFX. But was wondering - whats the
> general thoughts on the different formats? Is either of the 3 better or
> worse than the others? Or will gnucash do better with 1 in particular?
> or..?

You'll be much better off with OFX and QFX (both are the same for all intents
and purpose), for various reasons, the most important of which are that it
uses the new transaction matcher and that it can uniquely identify
transactions you already downloaded.

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/
Président, Comité Jeunesse de l'Association des Diplômés de Polytechnique.