Newbie questions

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Tue Nov 4 17:07:51 CST 2003

Thanks very much for your help, Derek and John.

The question I am still unclear about is:

    Similarly, is it possible to define a default transaction for any
    imported data when imported to a particular account?

I imagine when inserting 300 records from my bank account download file,
it would be good to have these by default debit against
Business->Expenses or something and credit against Business->Creditors
or something. (You can tell I'm confused!).

Finally, do you consider gnucash something you could run a small
business on without too much trouble? My experience with open source
software has been overwhelmingly positive, however I need to be prudent
because my business depends on my knowing what its financial position
is.

Thanks again,
Rory

On 04/11/03, John Reynolds (gnucash at reynj.fastmail.fm) wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:03:48 +0000, "Rory Campbell-Lange"
> <rory at campbell-lange.net> said:

> > 1. Import and Export
> > --------------------

> Currently GC will only import the following formats, QIF, OFX/QFX, and
> HCBI. No .cvs
>
> > I'd like to know how easy it is to export data to csv or something like
> > that. My accountant uses Excel and I'd like to back my accounts up to
> > postgres.
>
> No export to .cvs either. You could write an .xslt to transform the
> .xml (default GC data file format) to something else.

> There is a postgres backend, but the current version does not support the
> "Business" functions (customers, invoice, etc). A DB back end is being
> actively worked on by the developers.

I'll use postgres then, as one can use Perl's Spreadsheet::WriteExcel to
quickly write an excel file out. Hope the relationships are clear!

> > I've had a look at the format of the gnucash data file and I'm
> > confident I could at least extract my data using Perl. However I'd
> > prefer not to have to reinvent the wheel!
>
> Maybe someone will offer up something they have already done... or you
> will do it and offer it back for inclusion in an "extras" folder for
> distribution.

Well, you have me intruiged by the idea of the postgres backend -- quite
easy to push data in and out of the database. How to get gnucash to
accept newly added data will be the question.

> > 2. VAT
> > ------
> > Do I have to do a transaction split on every VATable item to render
> > it to a VAT account?
>
> Yes.
>
> > 3. Dealing with imported data
> > -----------------------------
> >
> > I have a personal bank account for which I would like all the data to be
> > simply imported, and not be required to run a transaction against each
> > entry. Is this possible to achieve?
>
> Not sure what your asking... but remember that GC follows Double-Entry
> Accounting principles. If you just want to omit certain txn during
> import, I believe you can mark them and they will be skipped.

I think I was thinking of not always using double entry. Not a sensible
question, as that is the point of using the package, isn't it!

> > Is it possible to detect duplicate data entries on import? (i.e. when I
> > have data from the same dates mistakenly imported twice.)

> The QIF importer does not do a great job of matching. If you can, use the
> OFX/QFX option.

> > 4. Fonts
> > --------

> Fortunately I use a distro that covers most of that for me.

Ah well. There has to be one downside to Debian!

On 04/11/03, warlord at MIT.EDU (warlord at MIT.EDU) wrote:
> Rory Campbell-Lange <rory at campbell-lange.net> writes:
>
> > 1. Import and Export
> > --------------------

> GnuCash cannot import a csv or tab format file.
>

> > that. My accountant uses Excel and I'd like to back my accounts up to
> > postgres.
>
> You could write a report to generate the HTML table and export it that
> way, but there is no QIF/CSV/TAB export, either.  Also note that
> postgres does NOT support any of the business features
> (customer/vendors, invoices/bills, etc).  So if you plan to use the
> business features, you're (currently) stuck with the lame XML file
> format.

I think I'll try the postgres backend as I develop with postgres, and
not try the business features.

> > In the UK most transactions require VAT to be paid at 17.5%, which is
> > then recouped by Customs and Excise. Do I have to do a transaction split
> > on every VATable item to render it to a VAT account?
>
> Yes, this is how you have to do it unless you use the Tax Table
> support in the Invoice/Bill features.

Thanks for the confirmation.

> > 3. Dealing with imported data
> > -----------------------------
> >
> > I have a personal bank account for which I would like all the data to be
> > simply imported, and not be required to run a transaction against each
> > entry. Is this possible to achieve?
>
> I dont understand...  Could you rephrase the question?

I was talking of circumventing the double-entry system. Clearly not a
good idea!

> > Similarly, is it possible to define a default transaction for any
> > imported data when imported to a particular account?

> Again, I don't understand the question...  Are you trying to match
> an imported transaction to a hand-entered transaction?

No, I was talking of a default transaction, so that I don't have to
select every account against which

> > Is it possible to detect duplicate data entries on import? (i.e. when I
> > have data from the same dates mistakenly imported twice.)

> Yes.

> > 4. Fonts
> > --------

> This is a problem with gnome1.