Newbie questions

warlord at MIT.EDU warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 4 13:15:15 CST 2003

Rory Campbell-Lange <rory at campbell-lange.net> writes:

> Thanks very much for your help, Derek and John.
>
> The question I am still unclear about is:
>
>     Similarly, is it possible to define a default transaction for any
>     imported data when imported to a particular account?
>
> I imagine when inserting 300 records from my bank account download file,
> it would be good to have these by default debit against
> Business->Expenses or something and credit against Business->Creditors
> or something. (You can tell I'm confused!).

Aha, that's what you mean.  When you import a specific account, you
automatically attach it to one GnuCash account (i.e. the GnuCash
representation of your Bank account).  The "other end" of each
transaction will get matched based on a number of criteria.  No, there
is no way to set a default; you have to manually go through an set the
"far account" on each transaction.

> Finally, do you consider gnucash something you could run a small
> business on without too much trouble? My experience with open source
> software has been overwhelmingly positive, however I need to be prudent
> because my business depends on my knowing what its financial position
> is.

I use it to manage the finances of my consulting company.  That's
why I wrote the business features ;)

> Thanks again,
> Rory

-derek