Compiling GNU Cash on OS X

Paul Fischer pfischer at pfischer.com
Sun Oct 12 12:27:19 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I want to thank John Reynolds and Nicolas Scheffer for helping me get
GnuCash compiled and installed on OSX. I want to point out that the
compile and install is not as simple as launch fink commander, select
unstable packages, and click gnucash to install.

Many of the packages GnuCash relies on don't install properly from the
unstable feed. To anyone else who tries this, I strongly suggest
following the above instructions to see what packages GnuCash wants to
install and writing them down or pasting them into a text window. Then
cancel the install, go back to stable packages only, and install as
many of the packages from the stable list as possible. Then repeat the
directions above.

I had to drop back to stable packages several times to get dev
libraries and other packages to install at all. Also, read the error
messages very carefully. At some point, I needed to manually run ranlib
on a library that was out of date, but if I hadn't read the error
messages in fink commander carefully I would have never seen it.

Again, my thanks to all of you for a great product. Getting it running
on OS X saved me re-entering 2 years of data in Quicken. I try to avoid
using Quicken when possible, but my linux machine died, and I haven't
had time to get it working again. GnuCash on OS X is a much better
solution for me.